Whenever you undertake a home renovation or any type of home improvement, be sure to give some thought to your flooring at the same time. Your floors are one of the largest expanses of visible space in the home, so you need to make sure that they’re in good shape, and that they reflect the rest of your house. Flooring trends have come a long way in recent years, with a number of beautiful, low-maintenance, durable options you can use throughout your home. So whether your tastes run toward hardwood or toward tile, you can be sure to find something great for your home.
What’s Hot in Stone
Natural stone is a very popular material for many areas of the home. It holds up well, comes in a wide variety of different finishes and colors, and can be used to create nearly endless looks. Because of this, there are actually a few different stone trends just now to help fit in with numerous styles:
- White marble, including BiancoCarrara, Turkish Carrara, Calacatta, and Greek Thassos, is very hot in bathrooms and entryways right now
- Honed and natural cleft slate tiles in a variety of colors are popular in kitchens, mudrooms, and entryways
- Large format stone of all types – think 24-inches or larger – is popular for every area of the home. Don’t be put off by large stones in small spaces; the lack of grout lines will help open up the floor and make it seem larger than it is
- Wild, colorful stones with lots of veins and movement are also beginning to gain in popularity when used in small areas, such as outlining a kitchen island
What’s Hot in Wood
Wood floors have a classic appearance that never goes out of style. That said, trends do change from time to time, and with the current trend toward natural and rustic looks, today’s wood floors look a little different than those that were most popular just 10 years back. Look for wood floors such as:
- Handscraped or wire brushed to add a lot of texture to the floor
- Grey or greige wood floors to lighten them up and add a cool neutral tone to the room
- Very light floors, particularly in modern homes or in dark rooms that need a little brightening
- Color washed floors, which feature bold colors like turquoise or yellow, but with the color thinned to let the grain of the wood show through
What’s Hot in Tile
Tile floors are one of the best choices for durability and ease of maintenance, particularly porcelain floors, which are nearly indestructible. One of the best things about tile, is its ability to take on so many different looks and styles. You can find porcelain tiles that look like glass, stone, metal, or even fabric.
Like stone, tile is very hot in large format sizes right now, as well as in oversized rectangles, such as 12×24-inches. Finishes like metal or fabric work particularly well in contemporary homes, while finishes like stone work well in traditional settings.
Don’t Overlook Your Floors
Flooring is one of the most important parts of your home. If you’re considering a home renovation, be sure to give some thought to the floors, and how they’ll fit in with the rest of your home’s design. When you’re ready to begin, give Bianco Renovations a call to help get the perfect floor installed in your home.